Thursday, May 19, 2016

Boozeless Shower

We are going to a co-ed bridal shower this weekend.  Most of my husband's family and extended family will be there.  They are really great people and I'm excited to go- even more so now that I've stopped drinking!  Can you believe that?  Being excited about attending a social event, where almost everyone will be drinking, and where I of course would also have been partaking before 3/21/16?  Yes!  I am stoked.

I look forward to....being with my husband and son completely alcohol-free and enjoying the time together clear-headed; driving completely sober (it's a bit of a hike..maybe 2 hours driving or so, plus I think it's supposed to rain); being clear-headed around my in-laws; celebrating without thinking about alcohol (when to drink, how much, if I should, etc); just being a clearer version of myself- anxieties, awkwardness, and all!   Yes, the awkwardness will be there..I'm almost positive.  But that's normal for so many people, probably many of the people that will be in attendance, and drinking definitely doesn't really help that.  It maybe smoothes things..loosens the old lips a bit, but I don't want that to be how I behave.  I want to be a more together, stable, mature version of myself.  I hope I am able to project that with confidence and ease (we'll see..).

Some of the things I plan to do if for any reason I have any cravings or yearnings to "escape" with some booze....write a quick blog post, go on Living Sober and share how I feel (such a truly great website with people who respond very quickly on the community forum, particularly if someone mentions they are having a tough time- so supportive!), be near my husband and son, tell my husband how I feel, talk about things in the car on the way to or way home, and of course, have some awesome AF drinks!  Mainly soda.  I don't love drinking soda because it's such a weird drink, but hey, it's bubbly and sugary and caffeine-y, so bring it on.  I am thinking it might be a good idea to get a super-fun drink for the ride there, like maybe a Red Bull (crazy) or a homemade lemony seltzer for the road (better idea)..something good.  Then maybe by the time I get there I will just want some water anyway.  Not to get ahead of myself, but I don't anticipate wanting to drink.  I just don't want to at all, so that makes it easy (?!).  We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, so far, so good today.  Much love.

2 comments: